CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

WELCOME TO MOMMA ME!!!


Wednesday, July 28, 2010

MIDNIGHT FEEDINGS: Momma always knows best!

Every new parent know's or hear's about the dreaded "MIDNIGHT FEEDING" with a newborn and wonders "when will the day come when my little angel sleeps the ENTIRE night?"


This week, my hubby and I have had an on-going debate about who knows the best techniques for the midnight wake up from Bubba (FYI Bubba is my nickname for Parker)  at 5 a.m. We always talk about how to put Bubba to bed, how to feed him, how to change him (so he doesn't piss on you), rock him to sleep, & basically everything for the dreadful hour (but of course I love the time spent in the wee hours of the morning cuddling because I know there will come a day when I won't be able to hold him in my arms like I did last night).

We usually NEVER argue (I know, we are the perfect couple, *wink, wink*)
~ Here's the perfect pic of us... me trying to be sassy and, OF COURSE, blinking right at the moment of capture & my hubby sitting with a  puzzled look as though he was saying "Huh? What did you say? Cheese? Where's the cheese?" Hahaha. (sorry Hun!)


We usually always just give each other advice on different techniques when it is our turn for the dreaded "SHIFTS". But this past week I have been trying to engrave my technique into my husband's brain because I am sick of him always getting the horrible "SHIFTS".

There isn't a whole drawn out schedule. We simply switch every other night with one another, so one of us can get their beauty rest (but for me its been listening to Bubba cry as my hubby takes the shift for the night.)
My hubby tries his best & really is the best father I have ever seen.
He doesn't realize that all the time he is spending with our new baby is priceless.
Normally, most Dad's don't get to.


So, let's begin with MY routine nights on the "SHIFT". (Moms always remember the KEY word: ROUTINE)



So, of course, I make myself and hubby an amazing dinner...


Once we have finished our feast and the dishes are washed, I get Bubba's bottles ready for the night.
            8:00 p.m. ~ fill each bottle with our FAV formula, ENFAMIL Gentle ease, BUT in
             his next bedtime bottle I add a scoop of rice cereal to keep him full
                         (Many people told me this trick but I was unsure until I tried it, works like a charm).
            8:30 p.m. ~ I hold Bubba in my arms or over my shoulder and slowly rock him to sleep.
9:00 p.m. ~ He is FAST asleep where nothing can wake him up. Now me and the hubby can
have some alone time.
           10:00 p.m. ~ On my way to bed, I grab the two bottles for the night (only filled with formula)

~ somewhere between 4:00 a.m. - 5:00 a.m. ~ Bubba begins to wake up, making little "Mommy come get me sounds"

I grab the bottle, fill it with the correct amount of water, scoop my angel up, and head to his room.
(KEEP IN MIND: He is still sleeping in our room in the bassinet)
This is where my hubby and I do things different...
1. I feed him FIRST
2. Once finished feeding, I change his full diaper
3. I don't talk to Bubba while changing him because he begins to smile & laugh, which will result in him  waking up for the day.
4. I scoop him up, lay on the couch or just stand, and slowly rock him back to sleep
5. Once asleep, I keep rocking for about 5 minutes, and then I put him back to sleep

AND THEN I'M BACK IN BED WITHIN
20-25 MINUTES TOPS!

The rest of my day is filled with birds singing because I got my beauty rest, full 7-8 hours. LOL!

( And yes, this is exactly how I look ~*wink, wink*~ I wear long prairie dresses to work)

As for my hubby, well... his latest post on his blog SURFER BLOG (click to view)
is about his night of  the "SHIFTS" (Here is a short entry from the post)

"Last night he woke up at 3 am squirming around and farting. So, i wake up and felt his diaper to make sure he's not sitting in Doodie and pee. He goes crazy right after he dumps, usually. I pick him up, and yea the diapers full, and I'm struggling to wake up. As i am taking off his diaper and getting him a new one,  I realize my arm and neck are getting really warm. I reach up to feel it and it's wet, and then it sprays me right in my eye.  Parker has been pissing on me for a little while now and i didn't even notice. YUUUUUUCKKKK!  I covered him up and waited for him to finish then changed all his clothes, and the changing table cloth . Not to mention all my clothes which are soaked in piss, and the poop filled diaper that landed face down on my bare foot when i jumped back to avoid the piss."


POOR DAD. This is what happens almost every night. Either Parker starts crying uncontrollably to the point he wakes up or he just wakes up consistently all night.

MY THEORY: FEED HIM FIRST, THEN CHANGE HIM!


Other Momma's out there, your baby might be different, but Dad's... please remember "Momma ALWAYS knows best!" Maybe tonight my hubby will listen and just try my technique, so he can get more sleep (then Bubba wont cry waking me up too!)

Another lesson learned by ~ MOMMA ME

3 comments:

Nina @ Momma Go Round

Ah, poor Aaron! Landon was the totaly opposite, if you changed him after feeding him...you were up forever. So funny how the babes can be so different.

MOMMA ME

Its so true. The best advice I got from a mom is Always listen to your own gut rather then what others tell you to do. She mentioned that everyone would say "Do this..." & "Do that..." but you know whats best for your little one

Lindsay

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. You little man is SO cute! :)

Post a Comment