CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

WELCOME TO MOMMA ME!!!


Friday, August 13, 2010

Introducing Solids

We are suppose to introduce solids to Parker this week.
I might sound ridiculous, but I'm confused with this easy concept.
I need someone to help me!

Unfortunately, I had to go back to work when Parker was only 7 weeks.
Many women are fortunate enough to raise their children
or at least stay home for the first year.
(I am very jealous!)
Since I work full time, my biggest fear is
Parker will forget me or not realize I'm his Mommy.


My last post I wrote about
how I couldn't take Bubba to his 4 month check up.
Of course, the one day I didn't go,
Dr.McFunny and his evil sidekick (aka nurse who scares the beejesus out of parker)
told Aaron about introducing solids 
and many more new changes we need to begin.

Here's the catch...


The Doc sent home this piece of paper with my boys &
it said to add one scoop of rice cereal  to the formula in his bottle
and add another scoop every day for 4 days.
Once we get to adding 4 scoops of rice cereal,
we can try to feed him with a spoon.


OK, SO I GET IT. Start with Rice.

(but Parker wont eat off a spoon & cries when I try to feed him)
Then after the rice cereal IT SAYS
to add a single food (like sweet potatoes or carrots)
We are suppose to feed one type of food for 3-5 days in a row
and then we can introduce the next.


This is where I am confused...
So there is a set of instructions stapled to the schedule.
It says for the first 4-6 months
 to only feed him rice cereal, oatmeal, and barley
(accompanied with bananas, peaches or single fruits).
Then at 6 months we can begin adding the veggies.

So... what is it?

I call my doctor and the nurse tells me something else different...
start with rice cereal and feed him from the spoon for each meal.
(breakfast, lunch, & dinner)
If he's still hungry then I can give him a bottle.
For the first week feed him rice cereal,
the second week give him oatmeal,
& the third week introduce barley.


HELP....WHICH ONE IS IT?

When I ask people what they did, no one seems to remember.

So, Parker cries when I try to feed him by spoon
or even by my finger.
I am suppose to feed him rice every meal but he wont eat it.

4 comments:

Ashley

Trust your gut and your baby. Parker will tell you when he's ready. We all hear about the babies who "love" it at first bite but I don't think that happens very often. They also have to learn how to eat, and it takes time. Jack didn't really start eating until about 5 1/2 months. BTW have you tasted that stuff? I wouldn't want to eat it either, do you mix it with formula? Maybe you can stir in a little banana or something to make it interesting. I think Sarah skipped the cereals all together started with avocado. And if feeding him solids feels daunting, its only for a few months. Jack is already off the baby food and we just give him whatever we're eating- WAY easier IMO. Either way its fun to see their likes and dislikes and the pictures are hilarious, enjoy.

Nina @ Momma Go Round

Oh my, way too many instructions. Landon hated the rice cereal...so we skipped straight to applesauce. We never followed any kind of order or schedule or anything. The only thing we did was make sure to only introduce 1 new food in a 24 hour period to make sure he wasn't allergic. Besides that, we just went for it and he did fine.

emerson-j

hi there, im from nz and my daughter rejected the spoon and food just squirted back out her mouth until she was about 6months. im just getting into the swing of it and shes almost 8 mths, she still has milk before solids cause the spoon took awhile. i also didnt do the rice cereal, pureed pear is meant to be the least "tart" tasting fruit, id try the applesauce like nina mentioned. my first baby was a real food lover, but no 2, is a drinker. i think id feel way to overwhelmed by all that paperwork you got. you will be fine :)

ashley @ little miss momma

WOW, my doc never gave me a schedule?!
How confusing is that?!
Although, looking back I could have used a bit more guidance. I made the mistake of giving we waaayyyy to much food on his first try with solids and he was up ALL night screaming with stomahc pain--I felt like the worst mom ever! After that lesson, I just started him on ride cereal with moderation...then a week later I started to introduce a new food every 3-5 days. I started with sweet potatoes, which he loved--then carrots--then bananas--apples, etc... I never tried putting it in a bottle--interesting. btw: wes hated the spoon for a while too!

Post a Comment